Please login to experience the full glory of the Dragoon forums!

How long do you expect a 2016 MMORPG to live?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How long do you expect a 2016 MMORPG to live?

Post by TheHidden01 on Mon May 23, 2016 1:31 pm

One of the many features touted by Chronicles of Elyria is a 10-year storyline, over the span of which your characters will die probably 10 times (roughly once per year) and be reincarnated as a new character. That part is unique and neat and I hope it works.

But 10 years? I mean, I still play Ultima Online, which turns 19 this fall, so Im never one to knock an old game on its age alone. But the truth is that the vast majority of MMOs Ive ever played did not hook me more than a year or two, and there are very few still competitive at their 10-year mark. Maybe Ive become jaded in the last few years, but I no longer expect new MMORPGs to last 10 years at all, not unless they are already older and grandfathered in with a loyal base. So I gotta wonder how a new game thinks its going to pull it off and whether its wiser to set a time frame, front load content, or keep things more open-ended.

How long do you expect an MMORPG released, say, this year, to live? How confident are you that even strong indies will pull off 10-year plans like these?

TH

"Let your character be your weapon, your fellow guild members be your armour, your blood thirst be your helmet, and use your boots to make a stand. After every battle allow your shield to be your faith in one another, and return from battle either carrying it or resting upon it."

Dorek: hopefully it has ingame voip
Dorek: then you could shout at em
Dorek: besides you sound like a fucking psycho anyway so you would make em piss emselves

Currently Watching:- Supernatural, and Avatar
TheHidden01
Dragoon King
Dragoon King

Male
Number of posts : 19649
Position in Command : King
Registration date : 2007-03-11

http://www.alwaysdragoons.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top