Please login to experience the full glory of the Dragoon forums!

Do you blame developers or players for rampant exploits?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you blame developers or players for rampant exploits?

Post by TheHidden01 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:23 pm

Taken from Massively.

As long as I can remember, there has been a back-and-forth between players and developers on the subject of game exploits. I remember back in my first days of Final Fantasy XI there were players openly using third-party hacks and bots for various purposes, usually involving fishing, leveling Enhancing magic, and other tedious tasks. Right now The Division is mired in a long series of exploits, and as soon as one gets fixed, another one gets discovered and used. Itís a bit of a mess.

Iíve seen people defend it, of course, but a lot of those defenses donít hold a whole lot of weight. Yes, the developers should have fixed bugs before they went live, but thatís what makes it a mistake instead of a design feature. No, no one should develop game mechanics so tedious that you feel the urge to automate them, but cheating doesnít seem like the proper way of addressing that problem. At the same time, if the developers have left in something that makes the game absurdly easy, I can understand rolling back unethical gains made, but banning people seems kind of harsh if itís not specifically harming other players. And thatís not getting into things like FFXIĎs Windower, which was technically an exploit of a very poorly coded port.

But Iím just one writer, and today my question is for you, dear readers. Do you blame developers or players for rampant exploits in MMOs? Is it a culture of entitlement or a natural result of poor QA?

TH

"Let your character be your weapon, your fellow guild members be your armour, your blood thirst be your helmet, and use your boots to make a stand. After every battle allow your shield to be your faith in one another, and return from battle either carrying it or resting upon it."

Dorek: hopefully it has ingame voip
Dorek: then you could shout at em
Dorek: besides you sound like a fucking psycho anyway so you would make em piss emselves

Currently Watching:- Supernatural, and Avatar
TheHidden01
Dragoon King
Dragoon King

Male
Number of posts : 19649
Position in Command : King
Registration date : 2007-03-11

http://www.alwaysdragoons.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Do you blame developers or players for rampant exploits?

Post by Kreed on Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:27 pm

Both sides are to blame to some degree. The devs should fix exploits as soon as possible, as is their responsibility. Players, meanwhile, should be expected of not to knowingly abuse the exploits for personal gain. Play the game how it is supposed to be played. If you need exploit abusing to get ahead you are a weak shit.
Kreed
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4

Male
Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2011-12-15

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top