Please login to experience the full glory of the Dragoon forums!

Is early access creating gated MMO communities?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is early access creating gated MMO communities?

Post by TheHidden01 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:55 pm

Taken from Massively, join us on weekdays as we discuss the daily topic. Remember, the thoughts of the OP are not always my own.

Iím not generally interested in early access programs these days. For one thing, there are so many fully fleshed-out MMOs on the market that I donít need to be adding a half-baked one on my plate. For another thing, I feel like getting in that early will ruin my appreciation of the final product.

As Iíve been avoiding them, Iíve become worried that whenever the game launches, it will be too late to join the community. After all, if the really interested party of players have been in a game for years at that point, Iíll be some upstart whoís part of a second, lesser caste of the community.

My question today is, do you think that early access is creating gated communities? Are people paying a ton of money just to get in on the ďrealĒ community now while keeping the unwashed rabble out? Does early access create territorialism and elitism among the community that will hurt it later on?

TH

"Let your character be your weapon, your fellow guild members be your armour, your blood thirst be your helmet, and use your boots to make a stand. After every battle allow your shield to be your faith in one another, and return from battle either carrying it or resting upon it."

Dorek: hopefully it has ingame voip
Dorek: then you could shout at em
Dorek: besides you sound like a fucking psycho anyway so you would make em piss emselves

Currently Watching:- Supernatural, and Avatar
TheHidden01
Dragoon King
Dragoon King

Male
Number of posts : 19725
Position in Command : King
Registration date : 2007-03-11

http://www.alwaysdragoons.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Is early access creating gated MMO communities?

Post by TheHidden01 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:56 pm

Maybe, I don't know, I don't care. Communities are communities, they will always have their stars and always their star Guilds. It morphs and changes as time carries on. Yes you miss things, but you also witness new times.

You are not gated because you didn't live in the 90s, I believe the same principle applies to this.

TH

"Let your character be your weapon, your fellow guild members be your armour, your blood thirst be your helmet, and use your boots to make a stand. After every battle allow your shield to be your faith in one another, and return from battle either carrying it or resting upon it."

Dorek: hopefully it has ingame voip
Dorek: then you could shout at em
Dorek: besides you sound like a fucking psycho anyway so you would make em piss emselves

Currently Watching:- Supernatural, and Avatar
TheHidden01
Dragoon King
Dragoon King

Male
Number of posts : 19725
Position in Command : King
Registration date : 2007-03-11

http://www.alwaysdragoons.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top